When you have a busy day, have to keep going and are facing an energy crisis what do you do? Grab a candy bar, a soda or some coffee? While these solutions might help short term, that sugar or caffeine buzz is short lived and not the healthiest way to deal with a lack of energy. Here are some tips for how to deal with your energy crisis naturally.
- Moderate amounts of exercise are a great way to increase energy. Doing yoga not only can increase your energy, but helps relieve stress. It can contribute to your confidence, mental and physical balance, relieve tension, and open your chest to get more oxygen to your lungs. If you aren’t into yoga, join an aerobic class or just go for a walk every day to get a boost in energy.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine associates the upper body with increased energies and massaging your ears can actually give you an energy boost.
- Don’t overdo. If you find you are in an energy crisis, start really prioritizing what you need to get done and what is most important to you. Conserve your energy by learning to not overcommit yourself and cut corners where you can. Yes it would be wonderful to make all your children’s costumes yourself and bring beautifully decorated handmade treats to parties, but sometimes a store bought costume and treats can be lifesavers.
- A lack in energy can be caused by poor sleep. If you have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep at night try establishing a relaxing routine before bedtime, make your bedroom free of light and sound, do your exercising more than 4 hours before bed, set a habit of bedtime and wake up time at the same time daily and stay away from caffeine, alcohol or heavy eating before bed.
- Get enough fiber in your diet to help keep your blood sugar levels stay stable. This helps you avoid spikes and drains in your energy level. Fruits and veggies are good sources of fiber and be sure to stay hydrated with adequate amounts of water throughout the day. Fruits and vegetables that have high water content can also help in keeping you hydrated.
- Eating foods with omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins also contributes to sustained energy levels. Good sources of omega-3 include fish like salmon, tuna and herring, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts, olive oil and AFA bluegreen alage. For B vitamins include eggs, lean meats, beans, whole grains, and dairy in your diet. Eating fermented foods like yogurt will add to the probiotics in your gut. These friendly bacteria in our intestines produce the B vitamins in our bodies and taking probiotic supplements like acidophilus and bifidus can give your body a boost to keep producing these vitamins.
- Get your day off to a good start with good nutrition that includes protein, and complex carbs. This will go a long way to giving you the energy to get you going and to sustain energy throughout the day. It also helps you avoid overeating later in the day. Think you are too busy for breakfast? Make the time even if you have to pack a breakfast the night before with some good protein, complex carb and fruit or a healthy smoothie, or grab a low fat yogurt or a small container of milk at a convenience store.
- As part of good nutrition for energy, whole food supplements can sometimes be necessary to fill in nutritional gaps. Supplementing your diet with high quality algae supplements gives you a combination of ingredients to feed your body on a cellular level and give the body extra energy. This supplement combines pure ubiquinol which is an active antioxidant form of coenzyme Q10 important for stress relief and improved energy, reishi and oyster mushrooms, polyphenols from olives, and AFA bluegreen algae, designed to activate cellular energy to support a healthy cardiovascular system which can improve energy levels. This performance supplement was created especially for high-performance athletes and active lifestyles, with a combination of AFA bluegreen algae, wheatgrass juice, cordyceps mushrooms, bee pollen, turmeric, noni, and green tea.
Don’t find yourself in an energy crisis. Fuel your body naturally with good nutrition, proper rest and exercise and have all the energy you need to get through your day.